Buried coin in the gastric mucosa
A 29-year-old man presented to the Accident and Emergency department with abdominal cramping following ingestion of a 50 p coin 2½ weeks prior to presentation. He had not observed it pass in his stools. An abdominal radiograph confirmed the presence of the 50 p coin in his stomach. Subsequently, he had an oesophagogastroduodenoscopy (OGD) performed with a failure to visualise the coin. 1½ weeks later, he returned to the department as he was still unable to observe its passing in his stools. A repeated abdominal radiograph and a CT of the abdomen and pelvis revealed that the coin was still in his stomach. A second OGD was performed once again with a failure to visualise the coin. It appeared that the coin had migrated into his gastric mucosa.